Civil Litigation Lawyer Chilliwack - When a business goes through financial problems, it is vital to choose the right team to help your business through the essential processes. These can consist of business restructurings, insolvencies and bankruptcies. Our Business Restructuring and Insolvency Team has a wealth of knowledge to help you handle these situations. Our lawyers are uniquely positioned to give representation and recommendation, leading to timely, effective, and strategic solutions.
We work with business enterprises within industries like airline, automotive, biomedical, communications, entertainment, construction, funeral, financial services, insurance, healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, mining, steel, retail, technology, natural resources, and real estate. Our lawyers can assist you with the complexities of cross-border proceedings administered under either Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code or the Canada Companies' Creditors Arrangement ("CCAA"). We have extensive experience with domestic and multi-national business reorganizations and restructuring, whether court-supervised or informal. Bankruptcy and Insolvency restructuring legislation in Canada and the U.S. have a similar debtor-in-possession focus; then again, the laws of the two jurisdictions are different enough to need individuals involved in cross-border proceedings to be well-informed regarding both jurisdictions. In recent years our lawyers have advised intermediaries and stakeholders in many of the biggest restructurings and insolvencies under the CCAA, the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act ("BIA") and the Winding-up and Restructuring Act.
Timely access to the needed professionals could tip the scales in favour of a positive outcome during business restructuring and insolvency. Our team draws upon the breadth and depth of different skilled members within our global office in all legal fields connected to business reorganizations. Our company has experts in banking and securitization, mergers and acquisitions, labour and employment, public and private equity, real property and intellectual property, and governmental relations. In cases of insolvency requiring advocacy before trial and appellate courts, our team provides expert litigators.
For the numerous stakeholders we represent, our services include the following:
1. We assist those financially challenged companies about the alternatives and options of restructuring, which comprises the creating and directing of formal restructuring proceedings under the BIA and the CCAA.
2. We provide recommendation to boards of directors and special/independent committees of private and public corporations about companies in financial distress.
3. We advise in relation to insolvent business debtors, including providing advice in the context of cross-border restructuring procedures, to institutional and non-regulated lenders, agents to and members operational, term, second-lien and asset-based lenders, lending syndicates, distressed debt investors, bondholders, trust indenture trustees, formal and ad hoc noteholders committees, and private equity and hedge fund investors.
4. We advise formal and ad-hoc creditors committees in cases being administered under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code related to cross-border and Canadian restructuring proceedings.
5. We advise secured creditors concerning the enforcement of their security, privately and through court-supervised processes and the protections of their rights and interests in insolvency procedures.
6. We advise trustees in liquidators, bankruptcy, monitors, receivers, interim receivers, construction lien trustees and other court-appointed officers in CCAA procedures and proposals under the BIA, consisting of bankruptcies and receiverships.
7. We advise equipment leasers and vendors, suppliers, contracting third parties, and commercial landlords in insolvency and restructuring realizations and proceedings and in relation to defaulting or insolvent debtors.
8. We advise purchasers obtaining distressed assets or businesses in cases administered under the CCAA and BIA, from trustees in bankruptcy and from privately or court-appointed receivers.
9. We assist investment bankers, financial advisors, and other consultants relating to their engagement in insolvency proceedings.
10. We provide counsel on different litigation problems arising in the context of bankruptcy, insolvency and business restructuring cases.
11.We prosecute and defend preference actions and litigation actions for fraudulent conveyance of assets and acquiring urgent relief to preserve and protect assets from dissipation, such as mareva injunctions, injunctions, and anton pillar orders.
Click to Download the pdf